BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I was watching the news this afternoon and saw and heard something that absolutely appalled me. Today is the first day gay marriage is legal in the state of California, but that is not really the thing that has me all fired up. They showed clips of crowds of people opposing this new law and picketing against the gay people who were getting married. They were claiming to be Christians and one woman, ON CAMERA actually said, "They will spend eternity in the flames of hell!!!" and even worse things than that. WHAT?! Can someone show me the love in that sentence and what good saying that could possibly do? It completely burns me up to hear the things people will say in the name of Jesus. I don't believe anyone has the right to say who will be spending eternity in Hell except for the one and only Judge. I believe our number one priority on this earth, as Christians, is to love and serve others in a way that shows God's perfect love, and to be able to testify as to where that love really comes from. People who are so openly judgmental and ugly about certain lifestyles are not showing love at all. That just gives non-Christians MORE reason to want to never learn about God's love. It's a terrible, terrible thing. I just wish I could shut-up all of those people.

Anyway, had to take a moment to vent! How does everyone else feel about this kind of thing? I would be very interested to hear your thoughts.

3 comments:

chris anne said...

i'm with you. we are supposed to love everyone no matter what.

Anonymous said...

I agree Whitney, you wouldn't have seen Jesus doing that. Though he did not condone behavior that was contrary to God's commandments, He loved and fellowshipped with those the "religious" wanted nothing to do with. No wonder He was so attractive to sinners, He gave them an opporunity to experience the perfect love of God without making them feel like they were not worthy of it.

Picketing against certain lifestyles gets the church no where. Though I disagree with gay marriage I too despise the way certain groups of Christians express their disapproval. We are to love the sinner, just as God loves us. As Christians we are just as much in need of the mercy of God as anyone else, God forbid we forget that and become arrogant. God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble, the church should be the most humble of all.

Natalie said...

I was actually "blog surfing" and ran across this post and totally agree with you! I'm in the process of searching for a church and it is so hard as I see "examples" of people from said churches act out in ways like this. Ahh....can't we all just get along?